Interested in Running for Office?
If you are interested in running for office, we are here to help! Please contact the Candidate Coordinator, Ray Bolden, at email@example.com or call us at 850-689-5600 or 850-651-7272 if you have any questions about qualifying.
Qualifying information and paperwork can be picked up at the Supervisor of Elections’ offices before qualifying begins. The qualifying period for State, County, Fire District, Special District, and Municipal candidates is Noon on the 71st day through Noon on the 67th day prior to the Primary or Municipal election day. Candidates can pre-file at any time prior to qualifying, which allows them to begin collecting and spending campaign funds.
A candidate is any person who:
- Seeks to qualify for nomination or election by means of the petitioning process;
- Seeks to qualify for nomination or election as a write-in candidate;
- Receives contributions or makes expenditures, or consents for any other person to receive contributions or make expenditures, with a view to bring about his or her nomination or election to, or retention in, public office;
- Appoints a treasurer and designates a primary depository; or
- Files qualification papers and subscribes to a candidate's oath as required by law.
Ready to Run for Office? Get started by filing the following document:
Form DS-DE 9, Appointment of Campaign Treasurer and Designation of Campaign Depository for Candidates are the first documents that need to be filed with the filing officer to become a candidate. A candidate shall designate the office for which he or she is a candidate at the same time he or she appoints a campaign treasurer and designates a campaign depository. A candidate may appoint a campaign treasurer and designate a campaign depository at any time, but no later than the date a candidate files for office. Nothing prohibits a person from announcing his or her intention to become a candidate prior to filing a Form DS-DE 9, as long as no contributions are received and no expenditures are made.
Form DS-DE 9:
- Shall be filed with the filing officer prior to opening the campaign account.
- Is not effective until the campaign treasurer signs it and it is filed with the filing officer.
- Is not considered "filed" upon mailing.
- Shall be on file with the filing officer prior to the candidate accepting any contributions or making any expenditures, or authorizing another to accept contributions or make expenditures on a person's behalf.
- Form DS-DE 84, Statement of Candidate must be filed by the candidate with the filing officer within 10 days after filing Form DS-DE 9. This form states that the candidate has received, read and understands the requirements of Chapter 106, F.S.
Click here to view all Candidate Forms.
Click here for the 2017 Municipal Election Candidate Qualifying Packets
2017 Offices Up For Election & Important Dates
Cinco Bayou - Three Town Council Seats
Crestview - City Clerk
Three City Council Seats
- Precinct 1, East Crestview
- Precinct 2, West Crestview
- Precinct 3, North Crestview
Fort Walton Beach - Mayor
Three City Council Seats
Laurel Hill - Mayor
Two City Council Seats
Shalimar - Mayor
Two Commissioner Seats
One Commissioner Seat to fill unexpired term
Click Here for the list of Current Candidates Running for Office
2017 Election Calendar
Municipal Elections March 14, 2017
Last day to register or change party February 13, 2017
Welcome to Candidate University
The Okaloosa County Supervisor of Elections Office is offering a program called "Candidate University" for those seeking to run for public office or any member of the public interested in learning about the process. The program is designed to inform interested persons of the appropriate procedures and documents required to run for office in Okaloosa County.
Candidate University consists of a three-hour curriculum focused on the fundamentals of becoming and being a candidate. Participants will be introduced to each step involved in the process including pre-filing, collecting petitions and qualifying. Campaign pitfalls will also be discussed as well as audits, recounts and contest of elections. All participants will receive a certificate upon completion of the program and there is no cost to attend.